Mounts help you travel the world of Forbidden Horizon West faster than you would on foot. Although Aloy can fast travel between more locations than she could in Horizon Zero Dawn, not all locations are accessible by this mechanic.
Since fast travel between campfires and various points of interest can only get you so far, you might be wondering where you can find all the mounts in HFW make some excursions faster. There are 4 mounts available, 3 of which are related to the main story questlines.
How to Get All Mounts in Horizon Forbidden West
These also include most variations of these machines. For example, the Bristlback replacement allows you to mount Acid and Fire variants. However, it does not allow you to mount Apex variants.
- Charger: This is the first mount you will get. It is an optional part of The Embassy story quest, but one of the optional objectives that you absolutely must complete. The herd is south/southwest of Chainscrape. This support is certainly the fastest outside the Sunwing.
- Pitches: Found everywhere except the Southern Desert / Stillsands region.
- spiky back: You will receive the replacement for the Bristleback mount after completing Repair Bay Tau. The entrance is corrupted, so you’ll need to repair it at the base’s crafting terminal, unlocked for The dying lands story quest. This mount is a good compromise between the Charger and the Clawstrider in terms of speed.
- Pitches: Found practically everywhere except Landfall.
- sunwing: You will get Sunwing support automatically when Gemini story quest. This is the penultimate mission of the campaign, so you’ll have to wait a bit for this flying mount. However, it is worth it as the Sunwing is by far the best support for Forbidden Horizon West.
- Pitches: Found above The Base, The Shining Wastes, north and west of Stillsands, east of Thornmarsh, southwest and northeast of The Bulwark, and northeast of Landfall.
- claw walkers: You can find this priority mount before the Gemini mission if you have explored. Clawstrider can be found in the Iota Cauldron on the northwest border of the Forbidden West, just west of The Bulwark. While Clawstriders looks awesome, they are painfully slow.
- Pitches: Found north of Plainsong, northwest and south of The Memorial Grove, northwest of Forbidden West by the coast/northeast of Kappa CauldronLanding northwest and southwest.
How to replace mounts
Replacing a mount is almost like replacing any other machine in Forbidden Horizon West.
- Sneak up to a mount machine and hold Triangle when prompted.
- Press Square to mount the mount after replacing it.
It should be noted that through some skill descriptions, HFW warns that undo will only last so long for mounts; eventually (and theoretically) they will antagonize you and return to the wild. However, this has never happened in more than 35 hours with west forbidden.
If this happens to you, there are skills in the Machine Master Skill Tree, such as Lasting Override, which extend Override. You can also make Overriden machines deal more damage with elemental attacks and set their behaviors with certain skills from this tree and found on specific outfits.
- Accelerate: X
- Brake: Circle
- To disassemble: Square
- Dismount jump: Hold and release Square
- light attack: R1
- heavy attack: R2
- repair: Move down and hold Triangle
How to call a mount
You can call up a previously overwritten edit by selecting the Raise the call tool in your quick menu and by pressing the D-Pad. This will summon the last type of machine used as a mount, unless that machine was destroyed or for some other purpose.
You will receive a different mount call for the Sunwing, and you can call it from anywhere at any time, even if you already have a ground mount.
And that’s what you need to know if you’re wondering where to find all the mounts in Forbidden Horizon West and tame them. For more tips, check out our other guides here.