GVERT arrest gunman after barricading himself in his suite on Wednesday night


VicPD arrested a man on Wednesday, after he barricaded himself inside a residential unit, causing extensive property damage.

Just before 5 p.m. on July 13, officers were called to a multi-unit residential complex in the 700 block of Queens Avenue to a report that a stolen vehicle had been located there.

When officers arrived, they found a loaded shotgun inside the vehicle along with ammunition and accessories for other firearms.

Officers and an ICS officer began searching for the man who was last seen driving the vehicle.

Just after 10 p.m., officers’ search for the suspect led them to a temporary multi-unit residential complex in the 200 block of Gorge Road East.

Given the presence of ammunition and firearm accessories located in the vehicle, officers responded quickly, establishing containment while evacuating nearby units.

The suspect then opened the door to his unit where he was stopped by officers who told him he was under arrest.

The suspect retreated to the unit and barricaded himself inside.

The GVERT, including the crisis negotiators, responded, resuming attempts to resolve the incident peacefully.

Just before midnight, the suspect exited the unit and surrendered to officers. However, at the same time, clouds of what appeared to be smoke began billowing from the suite.

Firefighters from the Victoria Fire Department arrived and determined the ‘smoke’ was actually steam which was released when the suspect attempted to ‘mousehole‘ the adjoining suites to avoid arrest , which damaged the hot water pipes.

Officers also learned that there were still three other people in the suite and asked them to come out.

Two people got out, were briefly detained and then released because they were not complicit in the suspect’s crimes.

The third person stayed inside and refused to come out, telling officers they believed there was an active warrant against their arrest. Officers worked to negotiate for the second person to leave the suite, but negotiations fell through.

By this time, just before 1am, there was over a foot of water flooding both the original suite and the adjoining suite.

GVERT officers deployed irritating gas and the second barricaded person surrendered to officers and was taken into custody.

The second person did not have an outstanding arrest warrant and was offered treatment for gas exposure and released.

Emergency crews entered the suite to try to contain the damage. The water supply to the entire temporary multi-unit residential complex was cut off for several hours as crews attempted emergency repairs following the extensive damage.

The original suspect was transported to VicPD cells where he was held for court. He faces recommended charges including possession of a firearm, reckless use of a firearm, possession of stolen property, two charges related to possession of a firearm or ammunition contrary to a court order, driving while prohibited and violating release conditions.

Anyone with information regarding the suspects or the incidents is asked to contact the VicPD at (250) 995-7654.

To report what you know anonymously, call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-888-222-8477.

About Marco C. Nichols

Check Also

Letter: Discover the many reasons why people quilt

Local quilters have assembled a diverse exhibit on display at the Timmins Museum until November …